FRCOG; Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist
Adeola Olaitan is a consultant gynaecological oncologist.
She specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of gynaecological cancers including ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, endometrial cancer and cervical cancer. She offers surgical treatment for these conditions, using minimally invasive (keyhole/ laparoscopic surgery) where appropriate.
She is accredited in colposcopy of the cervix for patients with abnormal smear results and treatment can be performed in the outpatient clinic. She also sees patients with general gynaecological problems such as heavy bleeding (menorrhagia), irregular periods or pelvic pain and is a specialist in minimally invasive surgery to treat polyps, ovarian cysts and other benign gynaecology problems.
She sees patients in her private practice for routine gynaecological checks such as smear tests, chlamydia testing, Mirena coil insertion (under sedation if necessary) HPV (High Risk Human Papilloma Virus) testing and HPV vaccination.
Adeola Olaitan was appointed Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist at University College Hospital London in 2002. She sees patients in private practice at The Harley Street Clinic and The Portland Hospital as a gynaecological oncologist and as a general gynaecologist.
She qualified at University College Hospital London (1987), followed, after general obstetrics and gynaecology training by a subspecialty Fellowship in Gynaecological Oncology at St Michael’s Hospital Bristol. She is presently an Honorary Senior Lecturer, with over 50 peer reviewed publications and book chapters. She is a member of the British Gynaecological Cancer Society, the British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and the International Gynaecological Cancer Society.
2001: Gynaecological Oncology accreditation
January 2002 to present day
Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist
University College London Hospital
• Deputy Chair Consultant Committee 2012-2013
• Lead Clinician in Gynaecology Oncology, UCLH April 08-2011
• Tumour Board Chair NCLN, November 2008-2012
• Clinical Lead for Theatres April 2009-2011
October 99-Dec 01
• Subspecialty Fellow, Gynaecological Oncology,
• St Michael’s Hospital, Southwell Street, Bristol BS2 8EG
• Responsible to Mr JB Murdoch & Mr RS Anderson
Oct 96-Sept 99
• Specialist Registrar, North East Thames Registrar Rotation
Oct 98-Sept 99
• Special Interest Activity (Year 4-5)
• Honorary Fellow in Gynaecological Oncology, St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Responsible to Prof Ian Jacobs
August 94-Sept 96
• Research Registrar, Gynaecology & Chest Medicine Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London
• ‘The Immune System of the Female Genital Tract – Effects of HIV Infection.’ I was awarded an MD for this work by the University of London in February 1998.
May 1992-July 1994
• South West Thames Regional Registrar Obstetrics & Gynaecology Rotation, Epsom General and St George’s Hospital
Aug. 1991-Jan. 92
• SHO Obstetrics, St. Thomas’ Hospital, London
Jan 1991-July 91
• SHO Gynaecology, Queen Charlotte’s Hospital, London
April 1990-Oct 90
• SHO Genital Medicine, St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London
April 1989-Mar 90
• SHO Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Watford General Hospital
Aug. 1988-Jan 89
• SHO Accident & Emergency, North Middlesex Hospital.
Feb. 1988-July 88
• House Officer, Medicine, The Middlesex & University College Hospitals, London W1.
Aug. 1987-Jan 88
• House Officers, Surgery, Gravesend & North Kent Hospital.
I very much enjoy teaching and have received excellent feedback.
I was awarded a Certificate of Excellence in education in 2008
• Medical Student Advisor: Mentorship Scheme year 3 students
• Gynaecology teaching: Firm Lead
• SSM: Communication in Cancer
• ESGO & RCOG Subspecialty trainer in gynaecological oncology
• RCOG appraiser of training programmes
• Supervise SST in out reach training in Recife, Brazil
• Convener of 1st European Course Laparoscopy in Gynaecological
• Oncology 2009 UCLH
• Invited lecturer on GP training schemes,
• Lecture MSC in Cancer,UCLH
• Lecturer RCOG national meetings
• Invited lecturer to International Meetings
• Hosting ESGO & IGCS International fellows
I remain active in clinical reserach and lead on a number of projects.
‘The Immune System of the Female Genital Tract – Effects of HIV Infection.’ I undertook this two-year research project to investigate the distribution and disposition of immune cells in the cervix and to examine the effects of HIV infection on the local immune system. Applying immunofluorescence and immunoperoxidase techniques to cervical biopsies from HIV-infected and HIV-negative women, I defined the distribution of lymphocytes and other immune cells in the cervical mucosa. I then applied molecular biology techniques to study the pattern of cytokine secretion. I was able to demonstrate a decrease in T-helper cells and an increase in immunologically-inept cytotoxic T cells associated with HIV infection. These findings enabled me to develop theories on the aetiology to cervical neoplasia to which HIV-infected women are known to be susceptible.
Reviewer for the several peer review journals
On Editorial Board for several International journals
I am a member of the Developing World Group of the Institute for Women’s Health and I led on a project to introduce cervical screening to Nigeria
- Konstantinos Doufekas, Richard Hadwin, Raju Kandimalla,Allison Jones, Tim Mould, Susanna Crowe, Adeola Olaitan, Nicola Macdonald, Heidi Fiegl, Elisabeth Wik, Helga B Salvesen,Martin
- Widschwendter GALR1 Methylation in Vaginal Swabs Is Highly Accurate in Identifying Women With Endometrial Cancer. Int J of Gynecol Cancer 2013
- Antonio Saha, Mohini Varughese, Chris J Gallagher, George Orphanos, Peter Wilson, David Oram, Arjun Jeyarajah, Karina Reynolds, John Shepherd, Mary McCormack, Adeola Olaitan, Nicola McDonald, Tim Mould, Iain McNeish ,Jonathan A Ledermann Primary chemotherapy for inoperable ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal cancer with or without delayed debulking surgery. Int J of Gynecol Cancer 03/2012; 22(4):566-72.
- Raja F, Kaler M, Amadeo G, Hadwin R, Kristeleit R, McCormack M, Mould T, MacDonald N, Olaitan A, Ledermann JA. Late Relapsed Ovarian Cancer Int J Gyn Can (2012) 22:8, (suppl 3).
- Varughese M, Gallagher CJ, Orphanos G, Wilson P, Oram D, Jeyarajah A, Reynolds K, Shepherd J, McCormack M, Olaitan A, MacDonald N, Mould T, McNeish I, Ledermann JA. Primary chemotherapy for inoperable ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal cancer with or without delayed debulking surgery. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012 May;22(4):566-72
- Uwe Güth, Wendy A. Ella, Adeola Olaitan, Richard J. Hadwin , Rupali Arora, , Mary McCormack, Total vaginal necrosis: a representative example of underreporting severe late toxicity following concomitant chemoradiation for cervical cancer Int J Gynecol Cancer 2010;20: 54Y60)
- O’Gorman T. Olaitan A Primary Malignant Melanoma arising in an Ovarian Cystic Teratoma European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology no1 Jan 2009
O’Gorman T, Macdonald N, Mould T, Cutner A, Hurley R, Olaitan A Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy in Morbidly Obese Woman with endometrial Cancer: Anaesthetic & Surgical Complications; European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology no 2 2009
- Somoye G, Mocroft A, Olaitan A. Analysis of the incidence and mortality of vulval cancer in women in South East England 1960-1999 Archives of Gynecology & Obstetrics 2008 May 17. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 18488239 Volume 279, Number 2 2009 113-117
- Pamela Wynne, Claire Newton, Jonathan A Ledermann, Adeola Olaitan, Timothy A Mould and John A Hartley Enhanced Repair Of DNA Interstrand Cross-Linking In Ovarian Cancer Cells from Patients following Treatment with Platinum-Based Chemotherapy; British Journal of Cancer (2007) 97, 927-933
- Yu C, Chiu C, McCormack M, Olaitan A Delayed Diagnosis of Cervical Cancer in Young Women, Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, May 2005; 25(4): 367 – 370
Yu C KH, Cutner A, Mould T, Olaitan A Total laparoscopic hysterectomy as a primary surgical treatment for endometrial cancer in morbidly obese women. BJOG 2005(112):1150-117
- Shamai PW, Mould T, Olaitan A, Hartley JA, and Ledermann JA (2004) Enhanced Repair of DNA Interstrand Crosslinking in Ovarian Cancer Cells from Patients Following Treatment with Platinum-Based Chemotherapy. International Journal of Gynaecological Cancer 14 , p75.
- Somoye O, Olaitan A, Mocroft A, Jacbs IJ ‘Age-related trends in the incidence of endometrial cancer over 30 years. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 2005;25(1):35-38 Moses SH, Olaitan A, Murdoch JB, Goodwin A. A pilot randomised controlled study of three models of follow-up of patients treated for gynaecological cancer: attitudes in general practice and feasibility of randomisation. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004;24(2):165-6.
- Peyton-Jones B, Olaitan A, Murdoch JB. ‘Incidental Diagnosis of Primary Fallopian tube Carcinoma during Prophylactic Salpingo-oophorectomy in a BRCA2 Mutation Carrier.’ BJOG, 2002;109(12):1413-4
- Olaitan A, Murdoch J, Weeks J et al, ‘The Management of Women with Apparent Early Stage Ovarian Cancer in the South West Region of England.’ Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 2002;22(4):394-398
- Olaitan A, Murdoch JB, Anderson RS, James J, Graham J, ‘A critical evaluation of current protocols for the follow up of patients treated for gynaecological malignancies.’ Int J Gynecol Cancer,2001;11:349-53
- Olaitan A, Weeks J, Mocroft A et al, ‘The surgical management of ovarian cancer in the south-west region of England.’ Br J C, 2001;85(12):1824-1830
- Olaitan A, Mocroft A, Jacobs I, ‘Changing Patterns of Age-Related Ovarian Cancer Incidence over Thirty Years (1967-1996)’ BJOG, 2000;107:1094-96
- Olaitan A, et al, ‘The Cytokine Microenvironment of the Cervical Mucosa’ Clinical & Experimental Immunology 1998;112(1):100-4
- Madge S, Phillips AN, Griffioen A, Olaitan A et al ‘Demographic, clinical and social factors associated with human immunodeficiency virus
- infection and other sexually transmitted diseases in a cohort of women from the UK and Ireland.’ International J Epidemiol 1998;27:1068-71
- Gbolade B, Tan, K P Teo K H, Essex B, Waldron MA, Foley E, Harindra V, Goodman M, Olaitan A et al, Reducing the vertical transmission of HIV BMJ 1998 316: 1899
- Madge S. Mocroft A. Olaitan A. Johnson M. Do women with HIV infection consult with their GPs? Br J G P 1999; 48(431):1329-30
- Sherr L, Barnes J, Olaitan A et al, ‘Women with HIV disease attending a London clinic.’ Genitourinary Medicine 1997, 73(4):274-9
- Madge S, Olaitan A, Mocroft A et al, ‘Access to Medical Care One Year Prior to Diagnosis in 100 HIV-positive Women’, Family Practice 1997, 14(3):255-257
Olaitan A, Mocroft A, McCarthy K, Phillips AN, Reid W, Johnson MA.
‘Cervical abnormality and sexually transmitted diseases screening in human-immunodeficiency virus-positive women’ Obstetrics & Gynecology 1997;89:71-75
Olaitan A, Reid W, Mocroft A, McCarthy K, Madge S, Johnson MA. ‘Infertility among HIV-positive women: Incidence and treatment
dilemmas.’ Human Reproduction 199711(12):2793-2796, also on Webtrack, Webb 11, item 1, Nov 7 1996
Olaitan A, Madge S, Reid W, Johnson MA. ‘Contraceptive use and knowledge of post-coital contraception amongst HIV-infected women: a comparison with an HIV-negative population.’ British Journal of Family Planning 1996 22(3):127-128
Olaitan A, Johnson MA, Maclean AB, Poulter LW. ‘The Distribution of Immunocompetent Cells in the Genital Tract Mucosa of HIV-Positive Women.’ AIDS 1996 10:759-764
- Olaitan A, Madge S, McCarthy K, Johnson M. ‘Unrecognised HIV
Infection Amongst Gynaecology Patients’ British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1996;103:470-473
- Katesmark M, Olaitan A, Byrne D, Lowy C. ‘Acute Pituitary Expansion in Pregnancy Secondary to Lymphocytic Hypophysitis.’ Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Nov. 1993; (13) 444-445
- Olaitan A. NICE guidance on ovarian cancer: Recommendations for detection in primary care are flawed BMJ 2011;342:(Published 17 May 2011)
- Olaitan A, McCormack M. Centralisation of services for the management of ovarian cancer: Response. BJOG 2008 BJOG. 2008 Apr;115(5):668
- Olaitan A, Mould T Successful microwave ablation of endometrial carcinoma BJOG 2003(110)8:789-90
- Olaitan A, Freeman-Wang T, Antibiotics for Loop Excision of the transformation zone. Br J Obstet Gynaecol, 1999 106;4:398
- Olaitan A, Madge S, Jones M, Johnson MA, ‘Antenatal Testing for HIV’
B Med J, 1998 316:1900-01
- Madge S, Olaitan A, Johnson MA. ‘Continuing Transmission of HIV-
Different diseases indicate different risks of transmission.’ Br Med J 1996 vol 312:1542
- ‘Cervical T cell dysfunction may predispose to cervical neoplasia in HIV-infected women’ Olaitan A et al, BGCS, Leicester, November 1998. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1999;106:391
- ‘The distribution of immunocompetent cells in the genital tract of HIV-positive women.’ Adeola Olaitan, et al. HIV in Clinical Practice Meeting. York, 1996
- ‘HIV Infection in Women, Presentation and Natural History of Disease in 181 Women Attending an HIV Unit.’ Adeola Olaitan, et al, The 5th European Conference on Clinical Aspects and Treatment of HIV Infection, Copenhagen, 1995.
- ‘Gynaecology Screening in 155 HIV-Positive Women’ Adeola Olaitan, et al Abstract 013, book of abstracts: BHIVA, Cambridge, 1995
- ‘The Disposition and Distribution of Immunocompetent Cells in The Genital Tract of HIV+ Females Compared With HIV- Controls.’ Adeola Olaitan, et al, British Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Dublin, July 1995
Oral Presentations ‘The Surgical Management of Women with Ovarian Cancer in the South
- The Surgical Management of Women with Ovarian Cancer in the South-West Region of England.’ Olaitan A, Weeks J, Smith J, Howe K, Murdoch JB. IGCS Conference, Buenos Aires, October 2000 11
- ‘The Management of Women with Ovarian Cancer in the South-West of England.’ Olaitan A, Weeks J, Smith J, Howe K, Murdoch JB. BGCS Conference, Amsterdam, May 2000
- ‘Ovarian Cancer in The South-West Of England.’ Olaitan A, Weeks J, Smith J, Howe K, Murdoch JB. The Gynaecological Visiting Society, Bristol. March 2000
- Changing Patterns of Age-Related Ovarian Cancer in South-East England
over Thirty Years’ Olaitan A, Mocroft A, Jacobs IJ, BGCS Conference, London, Nov 1999
- ‘Impaired Cell-Mediated Immunity in the Cervical Mucosa may Predispose HIV-Positive Women to Cervical Neoplasia.’ Olaitan A, Johnson MA, Reid W, Poulter LW. BGCS Conference, Leicester, November 1998 (Prize presentation)
‘The Effects of HIV Infection on the Immune System of the lower Genital Tract’ Olaitan A, Reid W, Johnson MA, Poulter LW. Specialist Registrars’ Conference, Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, October 1997 (Prize presentation)
- ‘The Disposition and Distribution of Immunocompetent Cells in The Genital Tract of HIV+ Females Compared With HIV- Controls.’ Adeola Olaitan, Margaret Johnson, Len Poulter. British Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Dublin, July 1995
- ‘HIV Infection in Women, Presentation and Natural History of Disease in 181 Women Attending an HIV Unit.’ Adeola Olaitan, Amanda Mocroft, Kate McCarthy, et al. The 5th European Conference on Clinical Aspects and Treatment of HIV Infection, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 1995.
- Poster Presentations
- ‘The Effects of HIV on the Immune System of the Genital Tract’
Adeola Olaitan et al, BSCCP Conference, April 1998, Cheltenham. (Prize Poster)
- ‘A Comparison of Contraceptive Use and Knowledge of Emergency Contraception in HIV-Positive women and an At-Risk Group of HIV-Negative Women.’ Adeola Olaitan, Sara Madge, Margaret Johnson. British Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Dublin, July 1995
- ‘An Audit of the Transvaginal Ultrasound Scan Clinic.’ Adeola Olaitan, Poster presentation for Registrar’s Meeting, Obstetric Section, Royal Society of Medicine, February 1994